Last weekend I've been visiting my friend in Princeton. I was invited (or I invited myself...) on a Siemens intern house party. It seems that they are doing those parties quite frequently. There was a huge bunch of people there in any case, so I didn't feel that I was out of place. Well lets start at the beginning...
I took the commuter train from Philly first to Trenton and then to Princeton. There is a direct Amtrak connection, too, but this is 4 times more expensive... Finally I managed to get there and I a was even picked up at the station. As public transport in US is highly developed, most interns have a car... We went to town first to have a hoagie (thats how they call sandwiches here) in famous Hoagie Haven (no typo). I got a Sanchez, which is a sandwich with chicken chop, fries, veggie and some greasy sauce. It was edible... you have to be adventurous if you try local specialties... Before the party started we had a stroll through the town and the campus. The town is basically one street with one restaurant after another. Apart from that there's not much to see.
The campus, however, is a different story. I can't even guess how big it is. We walked for quite a while and there was no apparent end. All the buildings look really fancy and old. Some look like castles, cathedrals or whatever mansion, but definitely not like university buildings. My friend said that especially at night it reminded her of Hogwarts. I guess she is right. Really impressive. On the Easter weekend I will go there again for a guided tour around campus. I hope that we will learn something about the history, the buildings and so on. Its always much more interesting if you hear the corresponding stories to a place.
The party was a kinda crazy thing. It was a house where a couple of (5?, 6?) Siemens interns are staying and they just transformed the place into a big party location. I think there were at least 50 to 60 people, mostly interns and Au-pairs (to make up for the girls ratio...). I guess this was the first opportunity where I talked to an actually American (one guy from Texas and one from New Jersey). So far I had only contact to internationals... (All my lab mates including the professors are non-natives). Hehe, it was fun talking about big cars and other American habits... Apparently even between NJ and TX there are big differences... :-) Apart from that I enjoyed myself, had a few beer (hard to get in Pennsylvania!) and mingled with people. I mean there is usually not much party going on in Villanova...
It was a cool weekend and I had a lot of fun there. Thanks for inviting me! :-)
Sorry I dont have any pics this time. Me and the weather were not in the right mood... I captured the posing goose in Philly.
I took the commuter train from Philly first to Trenton and then to Princeton. There is a direct Amtrak connection, too, but this is 4 times more expensive... Finally I managed to get there and I a was even picked up at the station. As public transport in US is highly developed, most interns have a car... We went to town first to have a hoagie (thats how they call sandwiches here) in famous Hoagie Haven (no typo). I got a Sanchez, which is a sandwich with chicken chop, fries, veggie and some greasy sauce. It was edible... you have to be adventurous if you try local specialties... Before the party started we had a stroll through the town and the campus. The town is basically one street with one restaurant after another. Apart from that there's not much to see.
The campus, however, is a different story. I can't even guess how big it is. We walked for quite a while and there was no apparent end. All the buildings look really fancy and old. Some look like castles, cathedrals or whatever mansion, but definitely not like university buildings. My friend said that especially at night it reminded her of Hogwarts. I guess she is right. Really impressive. On the Easter weekend I will go there again for a guided tour around campus. I hope that we will learn something about the history, the buildings and so on. Its always much more interesting if you hear the corresponding stories to a place.
The party was a kinda crazy thing. It was a house where a couple of (5?, 6?) Siemens interns are staying and they just transformed the place into a big party location. I think there were at least 50 to 60 people, mostly interns and Au-pairs (to make up for the girls ratio...). I guess this was the first opportunity where I talked to an actually American (one guy from Texas and one from New Jersey). So far I had only contact to internationals... (All my lab mates including the professors are non-natives). Hehe, it was fun talking about big cars and other American habits... Apparently even between NJ and TX there are big differences... :-) Apart from that I enjoyed myself, had a few beer (hard to get in Pennsylvania!) and mingled with people. I mean there is usually not much party going on in Villanova...
It was a cool weekend and I had a lot of fun there. Thanks for inviting me! :-)
Sorry I dont have any pics this time. Me and the weather were not in the right mood... I captured the posing goose in Philly.
No comments:
Post a Comment