Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gamblin' in Atlantic City

Last Sunday I went together with my land lord to Atlantic City. For those who don't now: Its something like a cheap version of Las Vegas on the east coast of the US. I was told that I should go there at least once to see this place... Well yeah.

We took some kind of casino bus there: You get the price of the bus ticket worth free credit in the casino. So the first thing we did was to waste the $25 in one of the slot machines. I can definitely not understand why people find this fun or exciting. You sit in this dull, dark place and get constantly annoyed by blinking lights an noisy machines. You hit some buttons and then the counter of you money goes either up or down... After five minutes I got already bored and felt an urge to leave... Luckily it doesn't take long to get rid of 25 bucks. At least I got 15 bucks back which almost paid for the lunch.

The lunch buffet was good, but not outstanding. Anyway, I only ate as much as I possibly could. :-) Then it was time to stroll along the famous board walk. Most of the casinos are situated directly at the beach. The board walk runs along between the beach and the buildings. Maybe it is nice to take a walk there in summer... with cold and windy weather it wasn't really fun. The overcast sky was not the perfect setting for taking pictures either. Well, you see the result.

The most interesting part was maybe the interior of some casinos. One had this Wild West theme from the outside and inside. That looked quite cool - kinda underwhelming though when you have already been to Las Vegas. Some of the places were not that glittering and shiny - rather run down and shabby.

All in all Atlantic City is probably a place where you don't have to go. It might be nice with great summer weather. But I still think that I can't quite get the hang of the casino business...



No comments: