Friday, September 19, 2008

Chinese dairy products


Probably you remember my breakfast habits and you got to know the recent food scandal in China about contaminated dairy products. Actually so far four babies in China died and many more have severe health problems. Since I read about it even in the German media I decided to check the milk I drink every day.

These are the results:
- the milk is from China
- the dairy company is Yili, which has been mentioned in some news articles as well
- the product "Yili pure milk (250ml)" is actually contaminated with traces of melamin
- the level is about 2.2ppm
- I would have to drink 77l of milk per day to reach the tolerable daily intake (TDI)

Conclusion:
I'm not in immediate danger of getting kidney problems, but I will probably change the brand of milk I am drinking. The problem will be to find milk in Singapore which is not made in China. I will have to hang around the milk department of the super market for quite a while next time...

[Update:]
Since all Chinese milk products have now been banned in Singapore I decided to switch the milk brand immediately. I hope that the milk from a Singaporean dairy company is not tainted... (I never saw any cows in Singapore...)

P.S.: I will be in Java and Bali for the next week. So you can look forward to nice pictures on my blog...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So weit ich weiß besteht (und bestand) für Erwachsene keine akute (Lebens-)Gefahr, aber eben für Kinder.
Ich finde es halt irgendwie absurd, daß die chinesische Regierung ja Auslöser des Milch-Booms ist (alle Kinder sollen größer werden) und jetzt ist die Milch gestreckt.

Anonymous said...

Pass blos auf!!
Lieber Tee drinken.
:-( Papa