Monday, October 13, 2008

Assignments

I think some (all?) of you got the impression that I don't study but only party and travel here. Hence I will dedicate this posting to the work that I have to do for my courses.

The system here is a bit different compared to Germany. Whereas in Germany there is mostly only one exam at the end of the semester, there are some continual assessments at NTU. Those can be presentations, quizzes or assignments. For my courses there are actually only assignments to do. An assignment is something like an evaluated tutorial. It is simply a sheet with some problems that I have to solve by myself and then hand it in to my lecturer. For my courses there are two or three assignments per semester which account for 20 - 30% of the overall mark. So you should put some effort in the solving of those problems. The good thing is that you normally have enough time to solve all the problems and you can discuss with you fellow students.

In the last 2 weeks I had to hand in three assignments for my courses. So I actually had a bit of work to do. But since I'm smart I started early enough and didn't get into big trouble finishing them in time. ;-) For the last 3 and half weeks of the semester (yeah it's really almost over) there will be probably 4 more assignments to do. I hope the lecturers will release the problem sheets soon so that the work doesn't cumulate at the end of the term.

The Computer Vision assignment is actually quite interesting. The goal is to detect a lift button with a certain number on a lift panel in real time. That means that you have a picture of a lift panel and you capture a video of this panel with a web cam. Than you have to mark the corresponding button of the panel in the live video of the web cam on the screen. To achieve this we have to write a C-program which uses some computer vision algorithms that are able to do this detection. The problem is quite simple because you now in advance how the lift panel looks like - but even like that it is quite challenging to compensate all the degrees of freedom of the camera movement (distance, yaw, pitch, roll, ...). Up to now I cannot take all of them into account, but apart from that it works quite well...

No comments: